While diehard coffee drinkers will argue that coffee is meant to be enjoyed brewed with no additives such as sweeteners, creamers, or syrups but those who love the hot beverage regardless of the way it is mixed knows just how good it is when you pair it with a flavored syrup.
Unlike coffee cream, syrup is the perfect way to add flavour to your coffee without the heavy thickness of dairy and it also eliminates the need for sugar, so you are able to save on calories. Syrups can be purchased at your local grocery store, department stores, and some coffee shop retailers will also sell bottles of their own “personal” brand syrups that your favorite drinks are made with.
Still not sold on coffee syrup? Still wondering just what coffee syrup actually is? Or perhaps you are in the process of trying to narrow down the best coffee syrup for your morning cup of courage. Whatever the reason – you’re in luck as we are now going to break down the best coffee syrups a little further.
Top Three Picks
- Top Choice: Torani Variety Pack
“99.99% of the delish coffee you get at coffee shops use this brand” (Customer Review)
- Top Convenient Packaging: Ghirardelli Squeeze Bottles
Easily measure and gauge how much coffee syrup you want in your beverage with these squeeze bottles. The squeezable option means you can also drizzle this syrup over your favorite ice cream or for a tasty dessert-style drink – pour these on whipped cream after making a café mocha!
- Top Healthiest Choice: Jordan’s Skinny Syrup
Perfect for when you want to add flavour to your coffee without adding the calories and sugar!
Why Use Coffee Syrups?
Those who love coffee syrups love them for their versatility. They can be used in coffee yes, but they can also be used in baking, cooking, and other projects to give a subtle or strong flavour to your dish.
The majority of those who use coffee syrups choose to do so because they want to add flavouring to their coffee, but they don’t want to add a bunch of dairy products along with sugar (or sweetener) and then add a flavouring as well.
Depending on the brand of coffee syrup chosen, you are able to choose no sugar, no carbs, no fat, no calories, and even no sweeteners if they use natural flavouring derived directly from the source – for example, natural vanilla coffee syrup would use the natural flavouring (think vanilla extract that would be used in baking) as opposed to artificially and chemically sweetened vanilla (think of the flavour of vanilla cake icing).
Pros and Cons to Coffee Syrups
As with any product on the market, there are definitely some pros and cons to consider before introducing it into your lifestyle. When it comes to coffee syrup, it might seem harmless and straight forwarded but there are some things to consider (as with any product):
- Easy to use – just pour it into your mug.
- Convenient – will sweeten coffee without having to use sugars
- Can be multipurpose – numerous people use coffee cream for more than just the hot drink.
- Comes in an array of flavours.
- Has a long shelf life.
- Eliminates the need to buy multiple types of coffee for different flavours as you can just change the one you have with the coffee syrup.
- Can contain high amounts of sugar – the more you drink coffee throughout the day while adding coffee syrup – the more sugar you are putting into your system.
- Can be hard to gauge how much coffee syrup to use.
- Can lead to an addiction of sugar and you will find yourself craving sugar (and sugary snacks) more throughout the day.
- The increase in sugar and carbs could lead to unexpected weight gain.
- An abundance of coffee syrups can lead to poorer dental health.
What to Look for in a Coffee Syrup
When it comes to purchasing a coffee syrup – you want one that will fit all your wants and desires. Use the following guidelines to ensure that your coffee syrup is exactly what you are looking for:
- Narrow down brands with a good rating on various online retailers.
- Consult with other coffee drinkers in your social circle to create a list of what type of coffee syrups they use.
- Look for coffee syrups that use natural flavouring and natural cane sugar as these are highly concentrated when compared to other varieties. This can help you reduce the amount of syrup you are adding to your coffee, which reduces your sugar intake.
The Best Coffee Syrups
1. Torani Variety Pack Caramel, French Vanilla, Vanilla & Hazelnut
One of the top names when it comes to the makers of flavoured coffee syrup – the Torani Variety Pack has all of the best flavours you could want for your fresh pot of brewed coffee. With classic Vanilla, sweet Caramel, and fan-favorite Hazelnut; there is something for everyone in this pack.
Made using natural cane sugar and cold-filtered water; these syrups are top quality and in terms of healthiness? Probably amongst the best when drank in moderation!
2. DaVinci Gourmet Naturals Syrup Hawaiian Salted Caramel
Since being founded in 1989; DaVinci’s Gourmet Natural Sweeteners brings only the best to the table. This sweet and salty caramel mix ensures that you will be wanting more. Made using natural flavourings and cane sugar, these syrups do not have any additional preservatives or additives; just natural and organic flavouring.
3. Monin – Gourmet Flavorings Premium Coffee Collection
The Monin Gourmet Flavourings Premium Coffee Connection is a massively popular variety pack of coffee syrups with Caramel, Amaretto, French Hazelnut, Irish Cream, and Vanilla being the choices offered. Each 50ml bottle is 100% gluten-free, dairy free, kosher, and GMO free; making this brand a favorite amongst the most serious of coffee drinkers.
4. Ghirardelli Squeeze Bottles – Caramel, Chocolate & White Chocolate – Set of 3
These squeeze bottles allow you to control the amount of syrup you are pouring out to a greater extent than other coffee syrups that just pour out. Combining natural cane sugar and quality products, you get the classic flavours of chocolate, white chocolate, and caramel.
With a slightly thicker consistency, you are able to use these syrups as coffee flavourers, ice-cream toppings, or they are great to be drizzled over your baked pastries for an additional kick of sweet!
5. Jordan’s Skinny Syrups
Ideal for those who are on a weight loss program or those that are trying to make healthier choices, the Jordan’s Skinny Syrups have no calories, no sugar, and no carbs. They also have the distinction of being keto-friendly; making this item so popular you have to grab it whenever it’s in stock!
The creamy butter flavour brings the texture and the taste back to your dull cup of coffee, but they are also great in mochas or over a baked croissant.
What are the best coffee syrups?
The best coffee syrups are the ones that suit your taste buds and budget perfectly. It’s the ones that offer you the strongest concentrated flavour with the lowest number of sugars and sweeteners.
Those that use natural cane sugar tend to be healthier than the coffee syrups that use aspartame or a similar chemical to artificially sweeten the syrup. These types will leave you feeling hungry and trick your brain into wanting more substance for your body when you don’t truly need it.
What syrups do Starbucks use?
Currently on the menu at Starbucks are the following flavours of coffee syrups:
- vanilla (available sugar-free)
- caramel (available sugar-free)
- cinnamon dolce (available sugar-free)
- hazelnut (available sugar-free)
- Toffee nut.
- peppermint (available sugar-free seasonally)
- classic (a mixture of sugar and water also called simple syrup)
There could be other flavours available, but it depends on the location of the Starbucks as some franchises also use local products in their coffees.
Can you buy the Starbucks syrup?
You can! You just need to tell the barista at your nearest Starbucks that you are in the market for a bottle of syrup, and they will let you know what ones are available for purchase!
The Bottom Line
Coffee syrup can be used in multiple ways in both your coffee and other areas of your life! To use a coffee syrup in your coffee, it is recommended that you pour the syrup in the mug first then pour your piping hot coffee over it to swirl it through the brew. Take a spoon and give the liquid a vigorous stir to mix the flavours together. Drink it hot or cold!
You can also use coffee syrup to favour baked goods, in cooked dishes, you can mix it with water to make frozen treats, and more!
Leave a Reply