Latte is the perfect drink for those who want to enjoy a rich, creamy beverage without having to leave home. And you don’t have to visit local coffee shops to enjoy it since we’re teaching you how to make a latte at home.
Many coffee drinkers think that brewing your own coffee is more rewarding since you get to control every cup, and that’s why we plan on teaching you how to make a good latte without stepping outside your house.
The steps are easy to follow, and with a little bit of practice, you’ll be able to make cafe quality latte in your kitchen.
Table of Contents
- What is a latte?
- How to make a latte at home
- How to make a latte at home without special equipment
- Closing thoughts
What Is a Latte?
It’s also known as cafe au lait. The espresso is what gives the latte its strong brewed coffee flavor. Depending on your preferences, you can make a latte with a single, double, or triple shot for an extra caffeine kick.
Many people believe that the latte’s milk is more important than the espresso shot – latte means milk in Italian, after all. The key to pulling off a great-tasting latte lies in the milk foam preparation and amount.
A latte usually has four or five times more steamed milk than espresso drinks, and you must steam it correctly to get the right texture.
Types of Latte
The homemade latte recipe is versatile, making it so popular among coffee lovers. Besides, it can be served in different ways. And, by adjusting the proportions of ingredients or adding new ones, you can obtain different latte flavors.
Here are some of the most popular variations:
- Iced latte – a cold latte served over ice. It’s perfect for hot summer days or enjoying an amazing coffee without dealing with the heat from a steaming cup.
- Mocha latte – a latte with chocolate. The chocolate can be in the form of syrup, powder, or melted chocolate chips.
- Flavored latte – a sweet latte with added syrups, such as vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, or pumpkin spice. You can also find sugar-free syrups if you’re watching your calorie intake and would love a flavored coffee drink.
- Latte Macchiato – a traditional latte with the ingredients added in reverse order (macchiato means marked in Italian).
How to Make a Latte at Home
Learn how to make a latte at home by following these instructions:
Step 1: Gather your supplies
- Clean towels or tissues for spills
- A clean, damp cloth
- Espresso machine
- Coffee grinder
- Milk frother
- Milk jug
- Espresso beans
- Chocolate chips or syrup, flavored syrups, sugar (optional)
Some of these appliances are not obligatory since you can improvise with what you have. But a quality espresso machine and milk frother certainly make life easier – and your lattes tastier.
However, using a latte machine is undoubtedly the easiest way to create this beverage in the comfort of your home.
Step 2: Prepare the coffee and espresso machine
- Turn on your espresso machine and let it heat for 5 to 15 minutes.
- Use a kitchen scale to measure coffee:
- 6-8 g for one espresso shot
- 12-16 g for two espresso shots
- 18-24 g for three espresso shots
- Grind the espresso beans in the finest setting.
Ensure your espresso machine can hold enough coffee grounds for triple shots if you’re making your latte this way. Also, don’t tamp the coffee grounds too compactly to force them to fit – let them loose.
Step 3: Steam the milk
- Clean the steam wand by running it a few times and wiping it with a cloth.
- Fill the milk jug halfway with milk.
- Put the wand inside the jug and turn it on.
- Move the jug up and down to steam the milk evenly.
- Stop steaming the milk after getting the desired consistency.
- Gently tap the milk jug against the table to eliminate bubbles.
Step 4: Pull the espresso shots
- Remove the portafilter from the espresso machine.
- Add the coffee grounds and gently tamp them.
- Pull your shot of espresso.
Step 5: Add the steamed milk
The amount of steamed milk you add will significantly impact the latte’s taste. Add a small amount of milk to feel the genuine taste of espresso or more milk to make it more mellow.
Remember that you must first pour the espresso shot and then add the froth milk; reversing the ingredients would create a latte macchiato.
How to Make a Latte at Home without Special Equipment
Here’s what to do if you don’t have an espresso machine or a steaming wand:
Make an Espresso without an Espresso Machine
Even the cheapest espresso machines will still cost you at least $100. So if you don’t want to spend that much money, you can still make a latte without an espresso maker:
- French Press – a coffee maker that uses a plunger to brew coffee. To make French Press coffee (espresso, specifically), ground the coffee very finely and apply pressure when pressing down the plunger.
- Moka pot – a small stovetop espresso maker that’s very popular in Italy. To make espresso with a Moka pot, you have to fill the pot’s base with hot water, grind fresh coffee beans and place them in the special basket, then place the Moka on your stove and let it heat.
- Aeropress – a manual coffee maker that uses air pressure to brew coffee. After adding the coffee grounds, you must tamp them, place a new filter on top, add hot water, and press.
Steam Milk without a Steam Wand
If you have only made drip coffee or espresso at home, you probably don’t have a steaming wand. Here’s the workaround for steaming milk for latte:
- Microwave oven. – Pour milk into a microwave-safe container and heat it for 60 to 90 seconds or until you obtain milk frother. Don’t overheat it since this will scorch the milk and create a burnt taste.
- French Press or saucepan on the stove. Fill the French Press or saucepan halfway with milk, set it to medium heat, stir with a whisk frequently, and remove it when it becomes milk frother.
- Mason jar and microwave oven. Fill the jar halfway with milk, pop it in the microwave oven for 20 to 30 seconds, screw on the lid securely, and shake the jar vigorously until you get heated milk foam.
Lastly, add the frothed milk to the espresso to create your latte.
Discover more useful information about making lattes at home:
How do you make a latte without a machine?
You can use a French press, Moka pot, or AeroPress to brew espresso. Then, steam the milk using a microwave oven, saucepan, a French Press, or a mason jar with a microwave oven to create frothy milk.
Can you make lattes with regular coffee?
Coffee with milk is common, but you can’t call it a latte unless the coffee is espresso.
How do I make a latte?
Make espresso, steam milk, and add the frothed milk to the espresso to create a latte.
How can I froth milk without a machine?
You can make frothing milk using anything from your kitchen that can bring milk to a simmer. Just be sure not to boil or burn the froth milk since it would ruin the latte’s taste.
Is latte good for weight loss?
You can only add latte to your weight loss plan if it uses skimmed milk. However, most baristas avoid skim milk since it’s harder to steam and froth. It’s best to use whole milk or switch to black coffee.
If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself – and the same goes for the homemade latte recipe.
While it might not be as convenient as buying from your local coffee shop, making a latte at home can save you a lot of money in the long run. Besides, it’s a genuine experience that you can enjoy with your family and friends.
Learn more about coffee-making and brewing tips by checking out our other articles!